Thursday, November 27, 2008

mumbai in terror - save my city

As I watch flames engulf whole wings of the magnificent old Taj hotel and hear surprisingly level headed media reports talk about more casualties, encounters and in a way the entire city being held hostage by kids with guns & grenades I feel only thing. What the hell am I doing?

As someone who has always proudly claimed Mumbai as the best city in the world ever since I was a kid, as someone who claims to be ‘raised by the city’, what have I ever done for Mumbai? If I claim to be some kind of writer, if I claim that ‘great lines can change the world’ what have I ever written to influence or make people think about mobilizing themselves to push for better security , better governance , and a safer way of life?

It seems like no civilian can really do much right now, but could this in some way have been prevented by civilian and community initiatives? Could this not have been a better, well equipped, secure city if all of us so called Mumbai loving citizens had raised our voices, demanded it and helped our government achieve it? Instead what we do is complain, crib, or serenade the ‘spirit of the city’ as we sip coffee and get our cheap thrills from all the events unfolding on TV.

Yes of course i am outraged, and saddened. But what happens tomorrow when the nightmare is over? Business as usual? Who has the time right? Just living in Mumbai is tough enough right?

I feel shame. And anger at myself. There will always be some kind of terrorists, whether religious or otherwise, but surely I could be more alert, more proactive, more concerned, more sensitive. more involved in my city's progress and less cynical of its problems

It’s time for me to ask myself how I can save my city. I am inspired and captivated once again by Ratan Tata who says every inch of the Taj will be rebuilt. I would like to offer my services free of cost to anyone who has a good plan to rebuild the morale, the spirit and the glory of this city. This is hopefully just the beginning for me

5 comments:

Mizohican said...

I know what you mean. Like Alyque Padamsee's pet project on "Fatwa on Terrorism" right? We should definitely come up with something like that.

We should not be let down or hampered by such acts of cowardice. Come tomorrow and we shall get back to our usual life, but we shall also remember those innocent and brave souls who perished last night. May their souls rest in peace.

Madhavi said...

Icompletely agree that we have not done enough for this wonderful city.How do we help?Maybe being alert and watching and observing everything around us as we travel,sit at a cafe,reporting anything amiss and so on.It looks like terrorism is here to stay.Common people must be proactive and force the authorities to take cognisance of our views.

Sanjaya said...

there is probably one thing you can do as a writer - make sure that people dont forget this.

mumbai is an insane city driven by hunger & duty. people become callous before they even realize it and another tragedy will fall on us.

keep the fire burning. let not mumbai forget what she has lost.

Anil P said...

Just wanting to is a good start.

ranjit kandalgaonkar said...

new post plis :)